Flea Market Goodies

This mornings marine flea market yielded quite a few goodies!

178 ft of 5/8″ line (really good condition)-$20.00
86 ft of 1/2″ line, (4) shroud cleats, cleat, and a complete bag of pulleys for lazy jacks-$10.00
New dingy cover (in the right color)-$10.00
Awesome tiller extension for dingy-$20.00
Mag light flashlight (with spare bulb!) $1.00

After gathering up our scores, we went to a round table discussion on the “path less traveled” which covered the Windward Passage, Haiti, and the southern coast of Dominican Republic. It was a good discussion as we are collecting as much info on this route as we can. As Keith and I were leaving we both said the same thing-I’m glad we decided to buy that radar! It seems that it may really come in handy in places where the charts aren’t that accurate and other vessel traffic (commercial and not-so-commercial) will be of concern. In fact, we came back to the boat and worked on the installation some more. Today we finally hooked up power and turned it on-and it works!! Why so surprised? Because we bought it dirt cheap on craigslist. It was a serious gamble. We were a bit giddy at seeing a screen full of speckles. We still have to actually run the wires properly before we cross this one off the list, but getting closer. Oh, and we still need to learn how to use it. Details.

With the inspiration of the last few days and momentum built by a functioning radar we chugged on with some more projects. We took the big outboard motor for a test run as it hasn’t been used in a while. The motor ran great but our davit pulley situation is need of some tweaking. Kai liked the go-fast dingy ride. After that, I ran new pulleys and new line for the roller furling. Overall, a great productive day with a bit of fun mixed in.

Now it’s time to get back to deciphering the world of ssb/ham radio communications. Ugh.




Coffee vs. Dinner

I knew that we would find things that needed to be added to the to-do list once we moved aboard, but surprisingly we have only added one item. A big one, but only one. Redesign the salon.

The boat originally had a huge double drop leaf table in the center of the salon. It would have held a hell of a feast. You could barely move around it when it was down, and once it was up you were pretty much stuck sitting behind it. No one was getting up to go pee from behind this mammoth. I yanked it out leaving a hole in the sole of the boat and a dilemma of what to replace it with. Many, many cardboard templates later I made version 2.0. A smaller, non-folding table for just the starboard side. Unfortunately, It just wasn’t right. The size or shape or surface–it just wasn’t right. More cardboard template tables followed, and I thought I had it figured out. I bought some teak, learned some woodworking skills and turned out version 3.0. Keith, who has been ever so patient with my never-ending table project, suggested I mount this one with hose clamps before drilling holes into our mast support. They actually worked quite well…….And thankfully were a cinch to remove.

Within the first few days of being aboard, it was evident that the salon was not as comfy and loungy as we wanted. Quick to blame it all on the table, I started trying to figure out how to rework it. But the problem is more complex, the seat depths are not deep enough and the backs are not angled enough. Hmmm. Probably great for sitting and eating, but not so great for curling up to read or watch TV or playing on he computer.

So, I need to:
1. Deepen the seating
2. Angle the backrest more
3. Design a new table
4. Fix the hole in the floor from the old table base
5. Make a home for the freezer

(We’ll, I guess, that is more than one item on the list.)

While I was playing with different ideas, I slid the freezer into the middle of the salon, stacked some crap on it, and realized it would make a great ottoman/coffee table. I sat down, propped my feet up and thought “what if I don’t replace the dining table?”

At the house, we always ate on the couch. We had a dining room table, but never used it-just ate off our laps.

I am seriously contemplating having only a “coffee table”. I keep playing with the idea of a raisable table, but then it would have to fold open too, and still be able to access the freezer….and it just gets really complicated. Besides we have a cockpit table, and I did just make cockpit enclosure.

So, the brainstorming continues.

A not-so-good pic of the original table.

One of many cardboard tables I made.
Brainstorming session (also considering adding a filler cushion in front of the v-berth)



We can now enjoy a rainproof, bug proof cockpit! I finished installing the full enclosure this morning.

As It turns out procrastination can be beneficial. I started planning this project in January, but got sidetracked with the haul out and never got it going. In the meantime, I dicovered that Sailrite had recently released a new instructional DVD Make Your Own Full Boat Enclosure. Having had great success with their Dodger DVD, I purchased it but couldn’t imagine how the video could cover such a complex and highly custom project. Turns out, they do an excellent job. The DVD gives complete instructions for three different window options to choose from: just glass, glass with permanent screens, and glass with removable screens.

In the end I went with a fourth option. Inspired by the removable screens option, I wanted to not only have the screens attached to the glass panels, but be able to be used on their own-without the glass panels attached. So I watched and rewatched the DVD until I was able to design what I had envisioned. I am pretty thrilled with the final result.

I love the way the perpendicular zippers are installed- the binding covers and protects the entire zipper-front, back, teeth. Zippers are pretty much the first thing to be eaten by the sun and with about fifty of them, yes fifty, I like that they are pretty much invisible to the sun.